Advanced Community Engaged Learning (ACEL) courses are approved and receive PAWS designation through review by the Community Engaged Learning Council.
The steps for approval are:
- During the semester prior to teaching an ACEL course, complete the expression of interest form that is emailed to faculty (also available here)
- CEL staff will contact you to discuss your course, brainstorm ideas, and begin completing the ACEL Designation proposal
- Complete the ACEL Designation proposal and submit it to the CEL Council chair (current chair is listed here)
- Form must be submitted three working days prior to the final meeting of the CEL Council of the semester before you intend to teach the class
- CEL Council will review your proposal, evaluating it based on:
- degree to which the CEL learning outcomes are addressed through curricular components
- quality and depth of proposed integrated reflection
- mutual benefits for students and community partners
- CEL Council will communicate with applicants no more than one week following the CEL Council meeting after the proposal was received.
- If approved, the course will receive ACEL designation on PAWS for the selected semester
- If denied, recommendations will be provided to the applicant along with an opportunity to revise and resubmit the designation form prior to the beginning of the semester