The Summer Community Leaders program is a ten-week summer of service experience and collaborative learning community of 10 excellent TCNJ undergraduates. SCL members serve 30 hours a week building the capacity of local non-profit partner while receiving rigorous academic, professional, and personal support from faculty, staff, and community mentors. SCL members receive a $3,000 stipend and $1,289.95 Segal Education Award. As a group, they participate in weekly trainings, discussions, and guest lectures.
Previous Placements include:
- Arm in Arm
- Boys & Girls Club
- Elijah’s Promise
- Isles, Inc.
- Millhill Child & Family Development
- Shiloh Community Development Corporation
- Trenton Area Soup Kitchen
- Trenton Health Team
The purpose of the Summer Community Leaders program is twofold:
- To provide mentored internships that develop student skills in leadership and civic engagement, enhance the academic experience, and inform career goals;
- To build the capacity of non-profit organizations in Trenton and address community-identified needs.
The AmeriCorps application will require two written references. One of these references must be a TCNJ faculty member. Choose someone who can speak to your qualities as a student, as well as your ability to work independently and with a team, carry out projects to completion, and solve problems.
Applications must be submitted and complete by March 9. Finalists will be invited to interview with non-profit internship supervisors between March 23-27. Fellows will be selected and notified by April 8.
Questions? Contact SCL@tcnj.edu
Applicants must be a rising sophomore, junior, or senior with a 3.0+ GPA (graduating students may not apply). Preference is given to students possessing:
- Leadership and/or civic engagement experience
- Interest in social change
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Professionalism, commitment, curiosity, and creativity
As a requirement of AmeriCorps/Corporation for National & Community Service, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or legal permanent resident alien of the United States to apply.