*The SCL Leadership Team is currently developing a contingency plan in the event that the 2020 program is required to move to a remote format. The position descriptions below are subject to change in response to the changing needs of organizations and the health guidelines of the CDC. *
The Summer Community Leaders program is a ten-week summer of service experience and collaborative learning community of 10 excellent TCNJ undergraduates. SCL members serve 30 hours a week building the capacity of local non-profit partner while receiving rigorous academic, professional, and personal support from faculty, staff, and community mentors. SCL members receive a $3,000 stipend and $1,289.95 Segal Education Award. As a group, they participate in weekly trainings, discussions, and guest lectures.
The purpose of the Summer Community Leaders program is twofold:
- To provide mentored internships that develop student skills in leadership and civic engagement, enhance the academic experience, and inform career goals;
- To build the capacity of non-profit organizations in Trenton and address community-identified needs.
2020 Position Descriptions:
- Arm in Arm
- Elijah’s Promise
- Isles, Inc.
- Millhill Child & Family Development
- Shiloh Community Development Corporation
- Jewish Family & Child Services
- Trenton Health Team
- Capital Area YMCA
- Princeton YMCA
The application consists of two components: an AmeriCorps application and a cover letter, resume, and list of preferred placement submitted through Handshake. Instructions on how to create an AmeriCorps application can be found here.
The AmeriCorps application will require two written references. One of these references must be a TCNJ faculty member. Choose someone who can speak to your qualities as a student, as well as your ability to work independently and with a team, carry out projects to completion, and solve problems.
Applications must be submitted and complete by the extended deadline of March 22nd. Finalists will be invited to interview with non-profit internship supervisors between March 30-April 3. Members will be selected and notified by April 8.
Questions? Contact SCL@tcnj.edu
Applicants must be a rising sophomore, junior, or senior with a 3.0+ GPA (graduating students may not apply). Preference is given to students possessing:
- Leadership and/or civic engagement experience
- Interest in social change
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Professionalism, commitment, curiosity, and creativity
As a requirement of AmeriCorps/Corporation for National & Community Service, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or legal permanent resident alien of the United States to apply.